It is Light'em Up Time!!
We are coming up on our 9th Annual WCSC Parade of Lights for the benefit of Toys for Tots and for collecting canned goods for a local food pantry/bank! The parade will take place on Friday night, December 1st and again on Saturday night December 2nd. Are you going to Light ‘em Up?
- First and foremost, this annual event is for the benefit of Toys for Tots and collecting canned goods for a local food pantry/bank! T Please bring your toys and can goods to the WCSC club house anytime between Saturday, November 18th and Wednesday, December 6th. The toys must be new and unwrapped. There will be tables and collection boxes setup in the WCSC clubhouse lobby.
- Next we need to know if you're planning on decorating your boat and participating in the parade, even if it's for only one of the 2 nights! Skippers please register by clicking: Register Friday Dec 1st and/or Register Saturday Dec 2nd . If you're new to the whole parade thing, the Elves will be glad to assist, just let Ron Sanga know ASAP!
- QR Code for Night 1 Boat Registration: QR Code for Night 2 Boat Registration:
- We will be ordering pizzas to be available after the parade for the group as we warm up by the fire. The Friday night gathering will be BYOB. There will be a signup sheet in the WCSC lobby area on Friday night to sign up for the pizza order so we can get enough for everyone.
- We need several volunteers to man the Toys for Tots gift collection and can goods collection over at Green Pond Landing on both Friday and Saturday nights.(Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need someone to step up each night to take pictures and/or videos for sharing later! (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need a couple of volunteers each night to drive the Whaler which will be designated as a Safety Boat/Photography Boat accompanying us around the parade route. (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need for someone to keep the fire going in the clubhouse while we are out on the parade route on Friday night and to place the group pizza order as we are returning to the harbor. (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help with this task)
- The WCSC Christmas party/gathering will be on Saturday night for which details can be found elsewhere on the website.
On Friday evening, we plan to have a Skipper's meeting outside on the clubhouse deck at 1745. If you can't make it, email or call/text (864-420-4782) Ronnie Ashmore or Ron Sanga for the details that will be covered.
Each evening we will depart the docks in time to be outside of the breakwater ready to begin by 1830. They are expecting us to go by the Green Pond Landing and Event Center by 7'ish, so please be on-time for the departure.
The current planned parade route will begin from in front of the sailing club entrance up to and by Green Pond Landing making a big loop to go back by Green Pond Landing for a second pass and then proceed up to the eastern end of the double bridges turning and heading west toward Portman Marina. We will probably not go through the marina due to the low water level, therefore the parade may officially end near the east side of Portman Marina. You may then return to WCSC or your home base.
Participants are asked to have a VHF radio with them if they have one, as well as their cell phones in case there is any problem along the way. When you confirm that you are participating, please give me your cell phone. We will be monitoring VHF Channel 69.
This year we're hoping to again have company from several members of the Power Squadron and boats from over at Portman Marina, Hartwell Marina, and Big Water Marina! I believe we had over 12 power boats from Dock 6 at Portman Marina last year. We will be doing the Best Decorated Boat Contest again the year in the both the Sailboat and Powerboat categories with trophies for the top 3 in each category.
Remember to mention the light parade to any of your friends or family members who are boaters! Maybe they can join us.
Finally, FYI and viewing are some of the links to last year's parade:
Video produced by Anderson County Media:
Western Carolina Sailing Club Christmas Boat Parade
Anderson Independent Mail pictures can be found: Photos from the 8th WCSC Parade of Lights on Lake Hartwell
Video taken by WHNS 21 Fox Carolina can be found: Lake Hartwell Parade of Lights
Drone video produced by WCSC’s Keith Schrecengost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkaz5t42UuI
Ronnie Ashmore (email@example.com) 864-420-4782
Ron Sanga (firstname.lastname@example.org) 864-313-8255
2023 Parade of Lights Co-coordinators